Dear GC Community,
As almost all of you probably know, Molly (Mills) Isenbarger has been Generation Citizen’s rock for the last four years, and has done so much to help us grow, first as Director of Programming, and now as Managing Director. But after helping us become a strong and vibrant organization, Molly is leaving us and moving to Indiana to be closer to family. While we’re incredibly sad to lose her, this also gives us an exciting opportunity to hire a new Managing Director – and we would love your help with that.
Please see below or Click here for more information about the Managing Director role.
New York, NY or Boston, MA
Generation Citizen (www.GenerationCitizen.org) is an innovative, quickly scaling non-profit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens.
Generation Citizen envisions a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy. To achieve this vision, Generation Citizen works to ensure that every student in the US receives an effective action civics education. We do this by directly engaging schools in action civics while simultaneously building the demand for the concept across the country.
Our innovative, action-based program partners college students with classroom teachers to teach an in school action civics course which mobilizes teens around issues their own communities are facing. This approach is revolutionizing civics education in this country, and as it’s now in the 4th year of operation, serving nearly 10,000 students across 4 sites with a budget of $1.7 million. We are led by co-founder and Executive Director, Scott Warren, who is a current recipient of a Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowship, a former recipient of an Echoing Green Fellowship, and was named one of Forbes’ Top 30 Social Entrepreneurs under 30.
Generation Citizen is building a new generation of youth activists and leaders, a generation inspired and equipped to make change.
The primary responsibilities of the Managing Director will be to ensure financial health and sustainability of the organization, oversee internal operations and staff performance, and serve as a thought partner to the Executive Director in executing the strategic plan. The Managing Director will report directly to the co-founder and Executive Director, work closely with the Director of Programs, and directly supervise the Site Directors, Operations Associate and Development Manager, as well as serve as the primary point of contact with external consultants and vendors.
Financial Management and Organizational Sustainability
- Work with finance committee of the national board engage in strategic planning and monitoring of the organization’s financial position to ensure effective use of funds to achieve mission
- Oversee organizational budgeting process across sites and related skill-building for Site Directors
- Manage, support and develop Site Directors to set and execute on fundraising/finance milestones and tactics towards monthly, quarterly, and annual goals
- Develop and maintain a system for effective cash-flow management & building a cash reserve
- Work with external auditor and convene Board Audit Committee to perform annual audit
- Oversee development of annual budget and operational execution of strategic plan
- Develop appropriate models for mapping costs, timeline, and decision-making processes to execute on strategic national growth
- Oversee the relationships with accounting and HR consultants, legal advisors, and external vendors
- Manage and develop Operations Associate and Development Manager to execute on operational and development responsibilities
Organizational Quality, Efficacy, and Compliance
- Oversee and continually monitor quality of all GC internal goal setting, accountability, events, initiatives, etc. to ensure high quality products, consistent results, and ongoing improvements
- Develop and manage all internal operational systems, organizational metrics and data management processes to further a data-driven culture
- Supervise and ensure organizational compliance with legal, human relations, and data protection requirements across multiple states
- Ensure brand management in all external communications including website, printed materials, etc.
- Lead and maintain any operations-related technological platforms (ex. Salesforce CRM, content -sharing infrastructure, WordPress website)
Staff Management and Talent Development
- Oversee talent pipeline development and searches, work with ED and local staff to determine and pursue staffing structures necessary to achieve organizational goals
- Collaborate with Management Team to cultivate high-performing staff and ensure that all employees reach professional development goals
- Alongside the Operations Associate, execute all human resource functions for staff of 16
- 5+ years professional experience in finance, operations, program management or human resources, ideally in a leadership role at a nonprofit organization during a time of significant growth
- Demonstrated expertise in financial management and systems, adept at budgeting in a multi-site environment, strong understanding of nonprofit revenue structures; experience with QuickBooks and oversight of restricted funds preferred
- Staff management experience (including remote management of staff across sites) and history of developing talent
- Analytical orientation with data management experience (Salesforce, Excel modeling, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail, necessary for managing a complex schedule and tracking execution of simultaneous projects
- Demonstrated ability to respond proactively to unstructured environments and to navigate challenging situations and relationships with creativity and diplomacy
- Strong communication skills in order to connect to, engage, and inspire diverse constituencies, including college students, high school partners, supporters, and community members as needed
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision and values, with a commitment to serving the organization in-the-weeds and at a high level
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly evolving environment and with a strong comfort for ambiguity
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree a plus
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to Scott Warren, Executive Director, to http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0KG000000Ys0wyMAB&tSource
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Generation Citizen offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers:
Generation Citizen has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Managing Director. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm for the nonprofit sector. With robust networks, deep search expertise, and a range of service offerings, Commongood Careers is provides a smarter way for the nation’s leading nonprofits to make high-impact hires. Since its founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led over 700 searches for 250 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced nonprofit search firms in the country. Click here to learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.