Apply to the Teacher Leadership BoardThe Teacher Leadership Board will serve as a thought partners and education advisors for organizational staff and ambassadors in advancing our mission.
Apply to join Generation Citizen’s Teacher Leadership Board
Vision and Goals
The TLB also elevates the vital voices of teachers in the growing movement to expand access to high-quality Action Civics across the country. GC’s value of Grassroots Change articulates the belief that those closest to the issue are best poised to create its solutions, and the TLB helps the organization honor that value and enhance its work. For their engagement, GC provides TLB members with various opportunities to support their continued development as educational leaders as well as a stipend for their service.
All members will:
- Commit to a two-year term, with terms staggered so that half of the board’s membership will be new and half returning every year.
- Participate in an annual summer retreat (week of July 13, 2020, exact date and location to be announced).
- Meet as an entire board virtually four times during the school year at an agreed-upon time.
- Interface and/or collaborate with the National and Student Leadership Boards.
- Participate in local and national events as available and needed, such as Democracy Coach and teacher training, Civics Day, and national conferences or panels.
- A $1,000 stipend for each year of service, to be distributed in equal installments in December and June for each year of service.
- Leadership and skill development, with the potential to contribute to curricular development, program design, pilot projects, campaign strategy, communications, and other projects.
- The opportunity to network and collaborate closely with individuals and organizations working to advance Action Civics locally and nationwide, including fellow TLB members, organizational staff, local and national board members, and broader members of the Action Civics community
- Invitations to local and national GC and Action Civics events and activities, including potential to author thought leadership pieces, speak on panels, and present at conferences
- Prestigious national board service for the country’s largest and fastest growing Action Civics organization
- Cohort III (2020-2022) will consist of one representative from each of the six Generation Citizen sites.
- Each member is appointed for a two-year term. At the end of each two-year term, members may reapply. If a member discontinues leading Generation Citizen programming or teaching in general, they are expected to inform Juanita Montes de Oca, Manager of National Program and Curricular Development.
- All TLB members will assist with the selection process and training of the incoming
How to Apply
Interested GC educators should submit an online application (http://bit.ly/TLB2020) by April 3, 2020. Selected applicants will be invited to interview with members of GC’s national program team, who will make final decisions and extend invitations for membership. Board members will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Passion for teaching Action Civics
- Familiarity with larger trends in education
- History of partnership with Generation Citizen
- Experience with civic engagement and thought leadership
- Ability to work collaboratively and with creativity and flexibility
- Interest in and ability to advocate for Action Civics among colleagues and in the broader community