Generation Citizen (GC) is excited to announce that we are looking for an exceptional leader to join our team as the Massachusetts Program Manager. The Program Manager will execute GC’s ambitious strategy for action civics programming across Massachusetts, working directly with a local site team as well as educators and administrators from statewide. The position will be full-time. Some evenings and weekends will be required.
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen is an innovative, quickly scaling nonprofit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. We partner with schools to implement an action civics program that teaches students how to address community issues by taking political action. Our traditional program model partners trained college volunteers with classroom teachers to lead this work, and we are developing new models which support schools in institutionalizing action civics independently.
This year, GC is serving more than 10,000 students nationally in Central Texas, Massachusetts, New York City, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and the San Francisco Bay Area. Within Massachusetts, we have empowered more than 3,200 middle and high school students this year alone.
The Program Manager is responsible for a portfolio of school and district relationships and supports GC’s program delivery, quality, partnerships, evaluation, and expansion in Massachusetts. The Program Manager will be a part of a team that includes a Program Director, another Program Manager, a Program Associate and several AmeriCorps VISTAs. The Program Manager will be responsible for scaling and delivering the teacher-led program model, which involves training and working directly with teachers and schools to implement the action civics curriculum without the involvement of our college volunteers. The Program Manager will report for the time being to the Massachusetts Executive Director and will work closely with the national Director of Programming and program team members across the organization.
We have a small and growing team, and we are looking for an innovative and visionary leader who can elevate and scale our programmatic impact across Massachusetts. We need a Program Manager who is hungry to dig into all aspects of this work – from expanding the teacher-led model to building GC’s teacher community in the Massachusetts education spheres. Because there’s a lot to do, there will be significant opportunities for leadership development and growth. If all of this excites you, then we want to meet you.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
Program Planning & Growth
- Manage school and district relationships for future expansion and work with fellow Program Manager to develop a pipeline of potential school partners in Massachusetts, with an eye towards confirming multi-year commitments and institutionalizing action civics within schools
- Build and strengthen partnerships with community organizations and local political representatives to support high-quality programming
- Manage opportunities for program pilots that allow GC to extend our reach and impact
- Support the Executive Director on action civics-related city and state advocacy campaigns
- Cultivate relationships within the education and youth-serving non-profit sphere to accelerate site learning and collaboration and to enhance GC’s presence as a local thought-leader in civics education
Program Development and Management
- Manage teacher professional development program, which will include recruiting school partners, training participating teachers, observing classrooms, supporting individual class advocacy projects, connecting students with advocacy resources and experts, and collaborating with teachers to drive evolution of the model
- Track rigorously site’s program progress and coach team members in achieving quality goals
- Collaborate with the national Director of Programming, Program Manager, Manager of National Program Development, and other staff to build a standard national model for a teacher professional development workshop series
Program Evaluation & Operations
- Manage program monitoring and evaluation of the teacher professional development, as well as supervise program team in coordinating evaluation efforts for the volunteer program and Community Change Fellowship
- Support Executive Director as needed with fundraising planning and events
- 3+ years of relevant nonprofit or education experience, including at least 2 years in a teaching or training setting
- Experience working with middle or high school students, educators, and administrators and familiarity with the language of education standards, curricular development, and school priorities
- In-depth knowledge of the Massachusetts community, its educational institutions, and its governmental structures
- Demonstrated ability to establish and manage high-stakes partnerships
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills, as well as demonstrated ability to connect to, engage, and inspire others
- Strong organizational and project management skills and attention to detail
- Significant experience setting and exceeding ambitious growth goals
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision of a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy
- Ability and excitement to model GC’s core values: Grassroots Change, Systemic Impact, Collaboration and Diversity, Action, and Open-Mindedness
- Political campaign, legislative, or community organizing experience preferred
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. We encourage applicants to submit their applications early. Qualified candidates should send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to your experience in each of the above outlined qualifications, and a list of 3 references to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include “Massachusetts Program Manager” in your email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates who reflect the diversity of the Massachusetts community are strongly encouraged to apply.