Bay Area Program Manager
Do you believe in the tremendous potential of young people to become leaders, citizens and
Do you have significant experience building partnerships and relationships, identifying creative
ways to address challenges, and deeply investing in local community needs?
Are you excited by a fast-paced, start-up environment that encourages you to innovate and
proactively identify opportunities for growth?
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen (dev-generation-citizen.pantheon.io/) is an innovative, quickly-scaling non-profit that
seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged
and effective citizens. We partner college students (called Democracy Coaches) with classroom
teachers to teach an action civics course in which teens solve problems they are facing in their
In just three years, GC has grown rapidly to serve over 6,000 students this year in our three
cities, training over 250 college Democracy Coaches to work in 240 classrooms. Over the next four years,
we will deepen our presence in our current cities and expand to three new sites to serve more
than 20,000 students per year. GC is looking to recruit top talent to effectively run our programs,
increase our impact, build our capacity, and improve our systems as we prepare to scale. We
are piloting in the Bay Area in 2013-14, and this position will be the first hire for the new site.
This provides a truly unique opportunity to be part of this trajectory and spearhead not only a
new site, but also set the bar for how we will pursue expansion in the future.
At GC, you will be working in a fast-paced, start-up environment. A successful candidate will
possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as the ability to manage a heavy
workload with corresponding responsibilities that will grow along with the organization. In the
Bay Area there is significant opportunity to prove your abilities and move up quickly. You will be
working with a small but passionate team, giving you the ability to help shape the future of the
organization. We are therefore looking for someone interested in committing at least two years
to the Generation Citizen. Apply today if you are interested in putting your entrepreneurial spirit
and talent to work in helping to grow and improve GC, ensuring that all students possess the
tools they need to make change in their communities.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
- Oversee opening of Generation Citizen Bay Area office
- Maintain relationships with local funders (in coordination with GC’s Executive Director)
- Conduct research on local foundations and corporations that may be interested in program
- Help to run local Advisory Board, coordinating support with local strategy and fundraising
- Coordinate all relevant Bay Area specific operations
- Work with the Director of Programming and a local graduate student researcher to develop site strategy to build off of learning in the pilot phase
- Build strong working knowledge of power and funding structures in pilot districts
- Cultivate high level relationships across sectors (elected office, on campus, and in community) to further and deepen program impact
- Implement national evaluation priorities in the Bay Area pilot to ensure sufficient understanding of pilot impact and processes
- Collaborate with GC program staff in other sites on best practices and lessons learned
- Recruit and oversee 15 classrooms for the Fall of 2013 and 15+ for the Spring of 2014 in
- Oakland Unified, East Palo Alto, charter networks, and other districts
- Manage relationships with Bay Area districts and school administrators to lay the groundwork for successful and enduring partnerships
- Provide training for participating teachers to ensure that they can successfully co-teach the action civics course alongside a GC college volunteer
- Plan and execute culminating semesterly Civics Day science-fair style event in which student representatives from each class present their action projects to community leaders and public officials
- Lead development of a college chapters at private, public, and community colleges including UC Berkeley, Mills College and Stanford University. Research and develop targeted strategy for expansion, engage administrative and faculty partners, and recruit and mentor entrepreneurial student leaders.
- Provide coaching and supervision to these college leaders, empowering them to build a committed and highly effective cohort of college student Democracy Coaches and to achieve their chapter growth, retention, and quality goals.
- From these chapters, recruit and place at least 22 Democracy Coaches in Fall 2013
- Provide training and ongoing support to college student Democracy Coaches to ensure that GC delivers the highest-quality civic education experience to Bay Area students
- Visit and observe all Bay Area pilot classrooms throughout the semester to provide feedback to Democracy Coaches and collect data on program
- Has strong communication and motivational skills in order to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies, including college students, high school partners, board members, supporters, and community members
- Is passionate about Generation Citizen’s mission
- Has a B.A or B.S. degree
- Has significant leadership experience supervising, managing, and training others
- Highly functional and organized in a changing and unstructured environment
- Goal and outcome oriented
- Has significant experience in the Bay Area (preferably including the public education system)
Qualified candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and a list of 2-3 references
to Jobs@generationcitizen.org. Please include your name and the position you are
applying for in the subject line of your email. No telephone inquiries please.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who reflect the
diversity of the Bay Area community are strongly encouraged to apply.