Generation Citizen is Hiring a Bay Area Program Manager
Generation Citizen (GC) is excited to announce that we are looking for an exceptional leader to join our team as the Bay Area Program Manager of our local “Democracy Coach” Action Civics model, which involves recruiting, training, and supporting college volunteer Democracy Coaches in effectively partnering with classroom teachers to facilitate Action Civics in middle and high school classrooms across Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco. The Program Manager will execute GC’s ambitious strategy for scaling and supporting Democracy Coach programming across the Bay Area, working directly with the local Bay Area team as well as educators and administrators in the region.
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen is an innovative, quickly scaling nonprofit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. We partner with schools to implement an Action Civics program that teaches students how to address community issues by taking political action. Our traditional program model, for which this Program Manager is responsible, partners trained college volunteer Democracy Coaches with classroom teachers to lead this work, and our newer model entails close partnership with schools and professional development of teachers to institutionalize Action Civics within their communities. As a pioneer in the field, GC also advocates for Action Civics on a national scale.
This approach is revolutionizing civics education in this country, and is, in its 8th year of operation, serving more than 13,000 students across its six Sites (Central Texas, Greater Boston, New York City, Oklahoma City, Rhode Island, and the San Francisco Bay Area) and beyond. In the 2017-18 school year alone, we will provide Action Civics to 2,000 students in Bay Area.
The Program Manager is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of school and district relationships to support GC’s program delivery, quality, partnerships, evaluation, and expansion in the Bay Area. The Program Manager will be responsible for scaling and delivering the Democracy Coach program model and will be a part of a team that includes the Bay Area Executive Director, Program Director and Program Associate. The Program Manager will report to the Bay Area Program Director and will work closely with the national Director of Programming and program team members across the organization.
We have a small and growing team, and we are looking for an innovative and visionary leader who can elevate and amplify our programmatic impact across the Bay Area. We need a Program Manager who is hungry to dig into all aspects of this work – from strengthening and expanding the Democracy Coach model to bolstering GC’s community of volunteers and teachers in the Bay Area. Because there’s a lot to do, there will be significant opportunities for leadership development and growth. If all of this excites you, then we want to meet you.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
- Program Planning & Growth
- Within the frameworks of GC’s national strategic plan and local strategic priorities, manage a caseload of school and district relationships and develop a pipeline of potential Democracy Coach school partners in the Bay Area, with an eye towards confirming multi-year commitments and institutionalizing Action Civics within schools
- Manage program pilots exploring learning questions related to Democracy Coach programming
- Support the Executive Director on Action Civics-related city and state advocacy campaigns
- Collaborate with the local program team to build and strengthen partnerships with community organizations, local political representatives, and others within the education and youth-serving nonprofit sphere to support high-quality programming, to accelerate Bay Area learning and collaboration, and to enhance GC’s presence as a local thought-leader in civics education
- Program Development and Management
- Manage college Democracy Coach program, which will include coaching and supporting the Program Associate in recruiting school partners and training participating teachers; recruiting, coordinating scheduling of, training, and developing college student leaders; and overseeing individual class advocacy projects
- Work closely with the local Program Director in ongoing efforts to strengthen and expand GC’s pipeline of prospective program partners
- Collaborate with the national Director of Programming and other staff to continue refining a standard systems, processes, and resources for the Democracy Coach model
- Program Evaluation & Operations
- Manage program monitoring and evaluation of the Democracy Coach model
- Engage with local and national team members in consistent collection, review of, reflection on, and decision-making from gathered quantitative and qualitative data
- Contribute to overall Bay Area program and quality goals, including coordination of school-based and citywide end-of-semester Civics Day events
- Support Executive Director as needed with fundraising planning and events
The position will be full-time. Some evenings and weekends will be required.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant nonprofit or education experience, including at least 2 years in a teaching or training capacity
- Experience working with middle or high school students, educators, and administrators and familiarity with the language of education standards and school priorities
- In-depth knowledge of the Bay Area community, its educational institutions, and its governmental structures with an understanding of relevant social justice issues
- Demonstrated ability to establish and manage high-stakes partnerships
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills, as well as demonstrated ability to connect to, engage, and inspire others
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Relevant project management experience
- Significant experience setting and exceeding ambitious growth goals
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision of a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy
- Ability and excitement to model GC’s core values: Grassroots Change, Systemic Impact, Collaboration and Diversity, Action, and Open-Mindedness
- Political campaign, legislative, or community organizing experience preferred
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. We encourage applicants to submit their applications early. Qualified candidates should send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to your experience in each of the above outlined qualifications, and a list of 3 references to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include “Bay Area Program Manager” in your email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates who reflect the diversity of the Bay Area community are strongly encouraged to apply.