Generation Citizen: Chief of Staff
Generation Citizen (GC) is looking for a dynamic, motivated relationship-builder and leader to serve as its first Chief of Staff. The primary responsibilities of the Chief of Staff will be to provide critical, high-level support to the CEO and COO, serving as a trusted advisor and resource as well as the hub of communication with the rest of the team and external stakeholders. The Chief of Staff reports to the Chief Executive Officer, works closely with the National Management Team and serves as a key interface to the National Board of Directors. This is a unique opportunity to work across all areas of the organization, and play a central role in ensuring that Generation Citizen successfully achieves the objectives laid out in an ambitious new strategic growth plan.
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen (www.GenerationCitizen.org) is an innovative, quickly scaling non-profit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. Generation Citizen (GC) believes all students have the right to civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy.
We partner with schools to implement an action civics program that teaches students how to address community issues through local government. Students learn communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills and are inspired to become active citizens. As a pioneer in the field, we also advocate for action civics education on a national scale.
This approach is revolutionizing civics education in this country, and is, in its 7th year of operation, serving more than 10,000 students across its six sites (Central Texas, Greater Boston, New York City, Oklahoma City, Rhode Island, and the San Francisco Bay area). We are led by co-founder and CEO, Scott Warren, a former recipient of a Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowship and an Echoing Green Fellowship who was named one of Forbes’ Top 30 Social Entrepreneurs under 30. Generation Citizen is building a new generation of youth activists and leaders, a generation inspired and equipped to make change.
Generation Citizen has just launched an ambitious new strategic plan which calls for us to strengthen and expand our program offerings, triple the number of students we serve while entering new markets and different geographies, and dramatically scale up our advocacy and coalition-building efforts. The Chief of Staff will work closely with the CEO and COO to pursue and catalyze this growth.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
Provide critical, high-level support with internal management and special projects to the CEO and COO by:
- Prepare agendas and analysis before key internal meetings, and coordinate next steps and follow-up
- Attending internal meetings with (or on behalf of) CEO as needed
- Serve as a contact to staff, particularly as it relates to fielding questions, coordinating projects, and downloading key information
- Support design and facilitation of staff meetings and retreats
- Create and manage communications channels to ensure timely sharing of decisions and prioritization across organization
- Plan and coordinate Management Team meetings to reflect and drive forward top priorities
- Work closely with Management Team to strengthen organizational culture, rituals and systems as we grow
- Provide project planning and management for special projects particularly related to growth objectives, organizational development and diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
Serve as facilitator for key external relationships, networks and events by:
- Managing CEO’s relationships and networks, including interfacing with donors, peer organizations and advisors with CEO and as his surrogate
- Preparing briefings or materials in advance of important external meetings and take lead on follow up and engaging other staff as resources
- Tracking priorities and strategically triaging CEO’s calendar and commitments
- Support the facilitation of crucial external partnerships and collaborations that are initiated or led by the CEO
Lead and support initiatives and activities to attract, develop and engage GC’s National Board of Directors by:
- Assisting in board management, including preparation of board materials, onboarding correspondence, etc.
- Planning agendas and coordinating implementation of board meetings and calls
- Sitting in on committee meetings and managing internal resources and next steps
- Experience managing projects and relationships in a results-oriented social change, non-profit public agency, or private sector organization
- Excellent public speaking, writing, and editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, lead projects and effectively prioritize time and tasks
- Excellent organizational skills and is extremely detail-oriented
- Team player with the ability to build strong relationships and influence with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills; demonstrated ability to connect to, engage, and inspire others
- Strong preference for previous experience working with Generation Citizen as staff or stakeholder
- Experience and facility with Microsoft Office, google apps, and project management systems
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision of a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy
- Ability and excitement to model Generation Citizen’s Core Values: Grassroots Change, Systemic Impact, Collaboration and Diversity, Action, and Open-mindedness
This position is flexible in location with a preference for New York City. Boston, Providence, San Francisco, Oklahoma City, and Austin are also possible locations.
Qualified candidates should send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to your experience in each of the above outlined qualifications, and a list of 2-3 references to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. No telephone inquiries please.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.