Generation Citizen Advocacy Fellow
Company & Fellowship Locations: New York, NY preferred, possibility of Boston, MA
Application Deadline: August 25, 2017
Position: 10-20 hours/week, fall semester; stipend provided
Generation Citizen (GC) is an innovative, quickly scaling Action Civics education nonprofit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. Generation Citizen believes all students have the right to civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy. We envision a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy.
GC is seeking a passionate and driven individual to support national policy and advocacy efforts. The Advocacy Intern will work closely with the Advocacy Manager, Director of Policy and Advocacy, and Vote16USA Coordinator for a minimum of 10 hours per week to support the development and execution of a policy and advocacy plan. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with a strong interest in a nonprofit or government career to develop highly valuable, marketable skills.
Advocacy Fellow Responsibilities
- Research and map current policy, standards, and frameworks for civics education across the country
- Conduct research on existing institutions and coalitions in the civics education space for Generation Citizen’s local sites
- Track current movements, debates, and publications in the civics education and youth political participation fields
- Help manage GC’s blog, elevating the importance of civics education and youth political participation
- Support research activities for GC’s Vote16USA campaign
- Other duties as assigned
- Exceptional research and written communication skills
- Prior experience with lobbying or local government preferred
- Ability to work well independently in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interest in public policy, political participation and civics education
- A junior or senior in college or graduate student, pursuing a degree in a related field
- Students who are eligible, may be able to utilize this position for work-study funds
- Gain unique insight into the inner works of a successful non-profit and receive guidance and mentorship from GC’s experienced staff
Qualified candidates should send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Please include “Advocacy Fellow” in your email subject line. No telephone inquiries please. Generation Citizen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.