Generation Citizen Finance Manager (New York, NY)
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen (www.GenerationCitizen.org) is an innovative, quickly scaling non-profit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. Generation Citizen (GC) believes all students have the right to civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy. We envision a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy.
We partner with schools to implement an action civics program that teaches students how to address community issues through local government. Students learn communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills and are inspired to become active citizens. As its core program, GC students receive an effective, action-oriented civics education that promotes long-term civic engagement and builds collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills that students will need throughout their lives. The result is passionate and responsible civic participation that will help create the more active citizenry and more responsive government of our future.
Additionally, as a pioneer in the field, we also advocate for action civics education on a national scale. This field-building work has involved organizing national convenings, publishing reports, conducting research, and launching a national campaign to lower the voting age in local elections.
GC is now it its 6th year of operation, serving nearly 10,000 students across 6 sites. We are led by co-founder and Executive Director, Scott Warren, who is a former recipient of a Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowship, a former recipient of an Echoing Green Fellowship, and was named one of Forbes’ Top 30 Social Entrepreneurs under 30. Generation Citizen is building a new generation of youth activists and leaders: a generation inspired and equipped to make change.
As a key member of the national team, the Finance Manager plays a central role in building and refining GC’s financial management systems, ensuring adherence to current controls and partnering with the COO to build the necessary systems and infrastructure to support growth and scale. This is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in getting in the ground floor of a non-profit and helping build the necessary internal systems to ensure quality and strong fiscal management in a period of critical organizational development
The Finance Manager also plays a vital role in ensuring that GC runs effectively across internal operations, and will provide significant input into the maintenance and the improvement of all key internal systems, from finance to technology to operations. The position will report directly to the COO, will oversee an Operations Associate, and will work closely with the rest of the national team.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
- Oversee Operations Associate in the entry and tracking of all financial transactions
- Manage monthly financial reconciliation process with accounting firm
- Oversee annual audit process and work closely with COO to present results and recommendations to Board
- Ensure timely processing of all bill payments and staff reimbursements
- Develop financial reports for funders with Development Team
Budgeting and Financial Planning
- Partner with COO to lead annual budgeting process, in close coordination with EDs and National Directors
- Provide monthly financial reports to Management Team and EDs including budget versus actual and cash flow projections
- Providing critical analysis to the COO on top level financial status, and long-term financial strategy
- Review, refine and implement financial control policies for the organization
Operations & Special Projects
- Oversee Operations Associate in maintaining and improving other key operational systems, including program ordering, fee for service tracking and program evaluation support
- Work with COO on improving HR systems and tracking including benchmarking benefits and compensation
- Oversee logistics for staff retreats
- Work with COO to identify and implement new technology systems to improve organizational efficiency as we grow
- Is passionate about Generation Citizen’s mission
- A or B.S. degree required with finance major or CPA/MA preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in finance or accounting
- Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with program and development staff
- Ability to proactively identify and creatively solve problems in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong time management skills and efficient in organizing and managing diverse tasks, activities, and projects
- Solutions-oriented; eager for ongoing learning and self-improvement in the role
- Previous experience working with Excel, Quickbooks, and Salesforce (or similar databases)
Qualified candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and a list of 2-3 references to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Please include your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. No telephone inquiries please. Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity employer.