Generation Citizen is an innovative, quickly scaling non-profit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. Generation Citizen (GC) believes all students have the right to civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy. We envision a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy. We partner with schools to implement an action civics program that teaches students how to address community issues through local government. Students learn communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills and are inspired to become active citizens. As its core program, GC students receive an effective, action-oriented civics education that promotes long-term civic engagement and builds collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills that students will need throughout their lives. The result is passionate and responsible civic participation that will help create the more active citizenry and more responsive government of our future.
As a pioneer in the field, we also advocate for action civics education on a national scale. This field-building work has involved organizing national convening, publishing reports, conducting research, and launching a national campaign to lower the voting age in local elections.
GC’s Measurement & Evaluation (M&E) intern will work directly with the National Director of Programming and M&E consultant(s) to build capacity for GC’s ongoing data collection, analysis, and communication efforts which support our work across the country. The M&E intern’s work will span helping GC execute on its current evaluation strategies as well as building systems and templates to support our continued growth in size, effectiveness, and efficiency.
The M&E intern will be expected to work approximately 10 hours/week ideally through the end of June 2018 in New York City offices. The intern will receive a $2000 stipend (could vary depending on start-date) for the period of service. to personal laptop is required.
- Assist with uploading data into current M&E systems
- Support organization of data and analysis using online management software (Salesforce)
- Collect and organize information from regional sites and help communicate results, trends, and learning
- Provide support to other quantitative and qualitative M&E projects
- Passionate about GC’s mission
- Interested in learning about social enterprise and program evaluation
- Interested in gaining knowledge of the (civics) education field
- Effective time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with Excel, Salesforce (or similar databases)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
Current undergraduate or graduate students specializing in any of these fields: Social Sciences, Public Policy, Business Administration, Nonprofit Management, Education, or Teaching.