About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen is an innovative, quickly scaling nonprofit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. GC believes all students have the right to an effective civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy. We partner with schools to implement an Action Civics program that teaches students how to address community issues by taking political action. Our traditional program model partners trained college volunteer Democracy Coaches with classroom teachers to lead this work, and we are developing new models which support schools in institutionalizing Action Civics independently. As a pioneer in the field, GC also advocates for Action Civics on a national scale. GC also runs the Vote16USA campaign, to support local efforts to lower the voting age to 16 and promote the idea on a national level.
About Vote16USA and Vote16DC:
Vote16USA is a national initiative, organized by Generation Citizen, that supports youth-led campaigns to lower the voting age to 16 on the local level in cities around the country and promotes the issue on a national level. Since launching in 2015, Vote16USA has become the leading authority on this policy issue and currently supports youth-led campaigns in several states.
In 2017, Generation Citizen partnered with a number of local community organizations to launch a campaign to pass legislation to lower the voting age to 16 in Washington, D.C. Under the direction of a Campaign Manager, Vote16DC has cultivated a growing number of organizational and individual supporters, as well as a cohort of emerging youth leaders from several after-school programs across the city. We worked with City Councilmembers to introduce a bill on April 10, and are now working to build additional support and secure the bill’s passage.
Generation Citizen seeks to hire a part-time Campaign Organizer to help train and support youth leaders who are working on the Vote16DC campaign and help with advocacy and organizing activities.
With guidance from the Campaign Manager and Generation Citizen staff, the Campaign Organizer will help recruit, train, and supervise youth campaign leaders and contribute to other campaign activities, including growing and overseeing the Vote16DC coalition and conducting outreach to key targets.
Specific responsibilities will include some or all of the following duties:
- Recruit, train, and support a cohort of youth (primarily ages 14-18) to serve as Vote16DC campaign leaders;
- Conduct outreach to potential Vote16DC coalition partners;
- Engage other key stakeholders in the community to become supporters of Vote16DC;
- Perform outreach and education to the broader community to increase public support for Vote16DC;
- Help plan and facilitate Vote16DC coalition meetings and calls;
- Lead meetings, calls, and other communication with Vote16DC youth leaders;
- Represent the campaign in meetings with coalition partners, city council members, and other stakeholders
- Assist in communications with DC Councilmembers and other DC Government officials regarding Vote16DC;
- Support other campaign organizing activities, as needed.
- Commitment to social and racial justice;
- Experience in community organizing;
- Experience working with youth ages 14-18;
- Experience working in communities of color;
- Ability to train, motivate, and holistically support youth leaders;
- Strong work ethic and time-management skills;
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others; and
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Previous experience as an organizer in a political or issue advocacy campaign;
- Previous experience in a youth development role;
- Personal ties to the DC community
- Working knowledge of DC government, DC City Council, and DC-based issue advocacy;
This is a part-time, limited-duration position that follows an anticipated campaign timeline through the course of 2018. It will require approximately 15-20 hours per week through June 2018, with a potential increase in hours from July through December 2018. This is a contracted position, with an hourly rate that is competitive and commensurate with experience. Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Vote16DC Campaign Organizer.” Please attach your resume and an informal statement (maximum of one page) that highlights some or all of the following:
- Any experience you feel is relevant, including working with youth;
- Your perspective youth gaining the right to vote at age 16 and youth empowerment more broadly;
- Brief thoughts on effective community organizing strategies.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates who reflect the diversity of the DC community are strongly encouraged to apply.