Vote16USA is a national initiative, organized by Generation Citizen, that supports youth-led campaigns to lower the voting age to 16 on the local level in cities around the country and promotes the issue on a national level. Since launching in 2015, Vote16USA has become the leading authority on this policy issue and currently supports youth-led campaigns in several states. The campaign has been featured in media outlets including the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Vox, San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Tribune, Crooked Media, and more. We are currently helping to lead the Vote16DC campaign to lower the voting age to 16 in Washington, DC and are also involved in local efforts in California, Colorado, Maryland, and Massachusetts.
We are seeking a passionate and driven individual to support the Vote16USA campaign in several areas including research, planning, communications, support on local campaigns and management of two advisory boards. The Vote16USA Summer Fellow will work closely with and be supervised by the Vote16USA Campaign Manager. The Fellow will also work with the broader Generation Citizen Policy and Advocacy team to support the dimensions of this work that overlap with Generation Citizen’s other policy priorities. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with a strong interest in a nonprofit, political, or government career to develop valuable, marketable skills.
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen is an innovative, quickly scaling nonprofit that seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. GC believes all students have the right to an effective civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy. We partner with schools to implement an Action Civics program that teaches students how to address community issues by taking political action. Our traditional program model partners trained college volunteer Democracy Coaches with classroom teachers to lead this work, and we are developing new models which support schools in institutionalizing Action Civics independently. As a pioneer in the field, GC also advocates for Action Civics on a national scale. GC also runs the Vote16USA campaign, to support local efforts to lower the voting age to 16 and promote the idea on a national level.
Vote16USA Fellow Responsibilities:
- Research potential target cities for new local Vote16 campaigns and work with the Vote16USA Campaign Manager in planning initial local campaign strategies
- Identify media opportunities and craft pitches to reporters
- Track media coverage and update Vote16USA website as needed
- Help create and implement new social media strategy to grow the reach of Vote16USA social media accounts
- Support planning for Vote16USA Youth Advisory Board retreat and a potential live debate event
- Draft a plan and recommend action steps for better engaging educators as advocates for Vote16 and
- Identify areas for improvement in Vote16USA materials and resources and create new materials, such as campaign plan templates, talking points, and youth training workshop materials
- Other tasks as needed
- Strong oral and written communications skills, with a demonstrated ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences and stakeholders
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to flexibly navigate between varied responsibilities
- Strong interest in public policy and political participation
- Experience working on a political campaign (electoral or issue based) as a volunteer or intern preferred
- Prior experience with lobbying or local government preferred
Hours, Location, and Compensation
- 20-30 hrs/week, early June – Mid-August
- Boston, MA
- Stipend provided
- Students who are eligible may be able to utilize this position for work-study funds or receive course credit
Interested candidates should send a resume and a cover letter to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Please include “Vote16USA Fellow” in your email subject line. No telephone inquiries please. Generation Citizen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.