Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life at Tufts University and Generation Citizen
Campus Compact of Southern New England Americorps VISTA Position Description 2018-19
The Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life is pleased to announce that it is partnering with Generation Citizen (GC) to hire an Campus Compact of Southern New England Americorps VISTA to support capacity building efforts at both Tisch College at Tufts University and GC. This position is an ideal fit for a proactive and meticulous young leader who has previous experience working with college student groups and community organizations.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
Generation Citizen-Tufts Chapter Institutionalization:
- Work with Tisch, GC, and other departments on campus to develop and strengthen partnerships for the benefit of ongoing programming and support for the GC Tufts chapter of Democracy Coaches.
- Collaborate with college student volunteer Democracy Coaches to improve recruitment and retention of Democracy Coaches, with a particular eye towards ensuring that Democracy Coaches reflect the diversity of Greater Boston’s communities.
- School Partnership Development in GC/Tufts Partner Communities:
- Collaborate with GC program staff to expand GC to new middle and high schools in the communities that surround Tufts. Conduct recruitment conversations with school administrators and teachers.
- Establish and manage relationships with administrators to lay groundwork for successful and enduring school partnerships.
Civic Engagement Training Development:
- Build off of existing GC frameworks to design civic engagement trainings for college student leaders that include content and strategies for effective local civic action and meet the needs of both Tisch and GC.
- Deliver trainings to GC Democracy Coaches and Tisch student leaders.
- Revise and develop trainings based on participant feedback and impact on student outcomes metrics.
- Document training best practices, compile training materials, and provide “train-the-trainer” instruction to empower other staff and students to deliver trainings.
- Work Study Support
- Collaborate with Tufts Financial Aid and Student Employment to negotiate the work-study process.
- Build systems of support for work study students to ensure positive experience.
- Experience training and facilitating college student groups as part of a student organization, with a particular passion for designing trainings that are both rigorous and engaging
- Experience working in community-based organizations that are guided by asset-based approaches to community development that help build community power
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detailed records and meticulous documentation of work and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to respond proactively to unstructured environments and to navigate challenging situations and challenging relationships with creativity and diplomacy
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision of a democracy in which young people work as active and effective citizens, and a fundamental belief in the unique potential of college students to help realize this vision
- Interest in higher education and nonprofit career possibilities.
The following characteristics are ideal, although not required:
- Entrepreneurial experience (starting or dramatically growing an organization, group, or movement).
- Political campaign experience and/or community organizing experience.
- Experience working with middle or high school aged youth, either in a classroom or in a community setting.
- Knowledge of the Greater Boston community.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, April 2, 2018, at 11:59 pm. Qualified candidates should send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter, and a list of 2-3 references to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. No telephone inquiries, please.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates who reflect the diversity of the Greater Boston community are strongly encouraged to apply.