Generation Citizen Oklahoma Program Associate
Generation Citizen (GC) is excited to announce that we are looking for an exceptional professional to join our team as the Oklahoma Program Associate. The Program Associate will work directly with college student volunteers, teachers, and youth to support action civics programming across classrooms in Oklahoma. The position will be full-time with a start date as early as October 2017. Some evenings and weekends will be required.
About Generation Citizen
GC (www.GenerationCitizen.org) is an innovative, quickly scaling non-profit that envisions a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively strengthen our American democracy. Our core program partners trained college students, called Democracy Coaches, with classroom teachers to teach an action civics course in which teens are mobilized to take political action on pressing issues in their community.
This year, GC is serving nearly 10,000 students nationally in Rhode Island, Boston, New York City, Central Texas, Oklahoma and the San Francisco Bay Area. Locally, Oklahoma served over 300 students in its first semester of programming in the greater OKC-area, and is planning to double the number of schools and students served in the 2017-2018 school year.
The Program Associate is responsible for overseeing programming at the middle and high school level. This includes managing college volunteer recruitment and leadership development, oversight of program quality and evaluation, and supporting classroom advocacy projects. The Program Associate will report directly to the Oklahoma Site Director, as well as work closely with other program team members across the national organization.
We have a small and growing team, and we want someone who is hungry to dig into all aspects of this work – from training college students and holding them accountable to high expectations, to building GC’s community in the OK education and political spheres. We’re an all-hands-on-deck team, working in a creative solutions-oriented environment. As the second full-time staff member to join the OK team, there are incredible opportunities to make an impact as the site grows. Because there’s a lot to do, there will be significant opportunities for leadership development and growth. If all of this excites you, then we want to meet you.
Develop College Student Talent and Oversee College Student Chapters
- Manage college leaders in outreach and recruitment efforts, ensuring that GC college chapters attract and retain an increasing number of high-quality Democracy Coaches
- Supervise and develop college Chapter Directors, empowering them to recruit and support strong GC chapters on their campuses
- Train college Democracy Coach volunteers each semester, and provide intensive ongoing coaching in GC’s action civics curriculum and advocacy framework
- Establish strategic partnerships with faculty and administrators to support the institutionalization of GC on college and university campuses
Manage and Track Classroom Projects and Advocacy
- Support class action plans by providing training, resources, and guidance to college volunteers and teachers
- Track classroom and college chapter progress to rigorously manage quality benchmarks and milestones
- Use data to identify strengths and areas of growth for continual improvement
Develop and Maintain Effective School Relationships
- Maintain strong relationships with school administrators and teachers to lay the groundwork for successful and enduring school partnerships, including supporting fee-for-service strategy and conversations
- Work with OK Site Director to provide initial and on-going training and support for classroom teachers to ensure that they can successfully co-teach the action civics course alongside a Democracy Coach
- Conduct regular classroom observations in schools to provide constructive feedback to volunteers
Support Program Quality and Site Operations
- Implement systems of volunteer-to-school placements, communication and data collection to ensure smooth day-to-day program operations and evaluation
- Assist with and support the execution of OK Civics Day at the end of each semester, in which 100+ students present their action projects to community leaders
- Collaborate with program staff in other sites to solicit best practices and contribute to national program efforts and overall desired program outcomes
- Support program pilot opportunities that allow GC to extend our reach and impact, including a teacher professional development program which supports schools in independently implementing action civics in their classrooms
- Adapt nationally created program materials to meet local needs, and develop volunteers’ and teachers’ advocacy knowledge to align action projects to ongoing campaigns and political activity in OK
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision of a democracy in which young people work as active and effective citizens, and a fundamental belief in the unique potential of college students to help realize this vision
- B.A or B.S. degree, or commensurate experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills and high level of attention to detail
- Experience supervising, managing, and training volunteers and/or staff
- Demonstrated ability to respond proactively and positively to highly unstructured environments and to navigate challenging situations with creativity and diplomacy
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills; demonstrated ability to connect to, support, and inspire others
The following characteristics are preferred, but not required
- In-depth knowledge of the greater OKC community, its educational institutions (school district and/or colleges), and its government structures
- Experience working with diverse middle or high school aged youth in a classroom setting
- Political campaign experience and/or community organizing experience
- Experience working with and managing college students, with a particular desire to develop their skills and knowledge and empower them to greater achievement
Other Job Specifics:
This job will be based out of Generation Citizen’s Oklahoma City, OK office. It is preferable if the candidate has access to a car and can commit to the position for a minimum of two years.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to your experience in the outlined qualifications above, and a list of 2-3 references to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Please include “OK Program Associate” in your email subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.
Generation Citizen is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and encourages all candidates to apply.